Esperanza

"In English my name means hope. In Spanish it means too many letters. It means sadness, it means waiting."

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Post 4:Brooke

Please view the  wordle that I created. The assignment was to create a wordle using all of the words that the character either spoke, or words used in descriptions of this character, but since Esperanza is the narrator of the entire book, I thought that I would narrow it down a bit. Instead, I used all of the chapter titles because they seemed to represent the major ideas of the book. It is interesting to see that "cousin" is the largest word in the wordle, which means it was used the most often. To me, this signifies that family ties and relationships are the most important to Espzeranza. Furthermore, the majority of the other words in this wordle are either names from friends or people in the neighborhood, or they are important places, like "The House on Mango Street." All of these names and references allude to Esperanza's neighborhood, which is a huge part of what defines her. Her experiences, knowledge, friendships, and family are all rooted in her neighborhood, so these names nad references are all important in understanding what makes her who she is.The other words in the wordle relate to her culture: like "rice sandwich" or "hips." These words tell us more about Esperanza's culture and the traditions she has grown up with.  It is hard to "define" a character in so few words, but I think that this wordle does a good job in showing us what is most important to Esperanz: her family, her neighborhood and her culture.

2 comments:

  1. Brooke, great idea using the titles. I really like your wordle. I feel that the words you used did represent my image of Mango Street and Esperenza.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brooke,
    I like your idea of using the titles of the vignettes for your Wordle! That is a great idea because I think the titles of the vignette's really do their job and I can remember the vignette just by hearing the title. I think that you touch on all of the important issues surrounding this book, especially family and identity. Awesome! =)
    -Jess

    ReplyDelete