Esperanza

"In English my name means hope. In Spanish it means too many letters. It means sadness, it means waiting."

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Post #2 Thoughts and Video

Baker-
So far, I am loving this book.  I'm flying through it.  I love the way the book is set up with short vignettes as well.  I really like Esperenza and feel that she either doesn't let her situation bother her or she is looking at the world through the eyes of innocence.  She recognizes what other people think about her, but she keeps brushing it off.  It seems as though she is faced with poverty and discrimination and yet doesn't recognize it.  I really saw this when she met Cathy, Queen of Cats and she was told that she would be Esperenza's friend...but only until Tuesday.  She went on to say that the neighborhood is getting bad because "people like us" (hispanic, Esperenza) keep moving in and they would have to move further North of Mango street. This made me angry, in a way.  I don't think Esperenza realized that her family was being discriminated against.  I did feel better, though when Esperenza left Cathy to become friends with the other two girls who shared a bike.

I think this story is telling a tale of struggle and coming of age in less than ideal circumstances.  Esperenza, however, makes it seem okay and as though it is not entirely horrible.  I don't have high hopes for her, but I hope that she has a good handle on where she is and what she wants in life.  She recognizes that she lives in a small house and that it doesn't meet other people's high standards, but the frequency of vignettes, takes my attention away from this and this leads me to feel that Esperenza isn't dwelling on it either.

I was looking for a video that had to deal with being someone's temporary friend, but I couldn't find anything that I liked that fit.  Instead, I chose a song by Carrie Underwood (NOT my first choice of artist) because the song fit some of the feelings I am having for Esperenza.  The song is called "Temporary Home" about a boy in foster care, but I was looking at it from Esperenza's eyes where her parents keep saying that the home is temporary "but you know how that goes".  I picked this because I feel that Esperenza doesn't feel at home yet and is waiting for something better. 

2 comments:

  1. First of all, this song is great for Esperanza! I am curious to see whether or not this house will actually be temporary for her in the end, because she's very clear that she "knows how" the temporary thing goes.

    "She went on to say that the neighborhood is getting bad because "people like us" (hispanic, Esperenza) keep moving in and they would have to move further North of Mango street. This made me angry, in a way."
    -This is a great point that you picked up on. Cisneros sort of glosses over this comment made by Cathy, as does Esperanza. Just as you write, it seems she knows that people are prejudice against "people like" her and her family and friends, but doesn't seemed phased by that. I think this will turn out to be a major theme in Esperanza's life, and she won't be able to ignore people's attitudes forever. While she is so good at focusing on the positive and the beauty in the world, this is one thing that she can't look past forever, unless the world changes, and her people aren't looked down upon by people like Cathy's parents. I'm interested how she might react if something was done, as in an actual event or action - she's good at forgetting the hurtful words, but what if she's encountered with hurtful treatment?

    ReplyDelete